Born: August 4th, 1941 in Scotland
Sam Young is currently the Owner and Class “A” Golf Professional at Shelburne Golf & Country Club.
Sam has been instrumental in growing the game of golf by paving the way for Junior golfers. He quickly became a highly influential leader and developed a very successful Junior Program for children 5-18 years of age. Sam Young has been a proud member of the PGA of Canada for over 50 years, was on the Board of Directors for 16 years, and was the President for 2 years (87’ and 88’).
Sam was recognized as the PGA of Canada Club Professional of the Year in 1989, and following that was recognized as the PGA of Canada Junior Leader of the Year in 2002. Sam was inducted into the Ontario Golf Hall of Fame in 2011, and in 2012, he was awarded a Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for his significant contributions and achievements.
- Played the Canadian Tour in 1968, 1969
- PGA of Canada Board of Directors President 1987, 1988
- Club Professional of the Year 1989
- Teacher of the Year 2002
- Junior Leader of the Year 2002
- PGA of Ontario Board of Directors President 1981, 1982
- PGA of Ontario Club Professional of the Year 1986
- Junior Teacher of the Year 2002, 2003
- Score Awards Club Professional of the Year 1989
- Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Award 2012
- Recognized for his excellence in Junior Golf development and contributions to golf
- Runs the most successful Junior Program in Canada with over 150 juniors as members at his club
- Served as the Owner/Operator Huntington G.C., Shelburne G. C.
Hall of Fame Induction History:
- Ontario Golf Hall of Fame 2011
- PGA of Canada Hall of Fame 2019
- PGA of Ontario Hall of Fame 2020
Source: PGA of Canada Hall of Fame/Golf Ontario Hall of Fame