General Manager / Head Professional
The Devon Golf and Conference Centre is excited to announce an exceptional career opportunity for a General Manager/Head Professional. The Club is a not-for-profit society in the Province of Alberta and all profits are used to improve the course, upgrade equipment and facilities. The ideal candidate will be an outgoing, self-motivated, detail-oriented individual who has the passion to work with a team that focuses on hospitality and member-guest satisfaction.
The Devon Golf and Conference Centre is in the growing town of Devon, Alberta nestled in the beautiful North Saskatchewan River Valley. It features a beautiful 18-hole golf course, food, and beverage operation and a Conference Centre. The Club was built and opened in 1954 and has been a community favorite since its establishment.
Please click here to view PDF job description.
- Devon Golf and Conference Centre - Devon, AB
- Job Summary
- The General Manager will have operational responsibility for all aspects of the Club including oversight of golf operations, membership, food and beverage, accounting, sales and marketing, and golf course maintenance. The General Manager will be tasked with operating the facility in compliance and in accord with Alberta Golf expectations, policies, and procedures. In addition, the GM will develop and implement fiscal, operational, and business development plans and strategies as well as administer operational standards and quality performance guidelines for all operating functions and staff. The GM will develop a strong working relationship with the Town of Devon (landowner), Chamber of Commerce, local business and the Lions Club who operate the local campground.
A. Primary Responsibilities a. Oversight of all activities at the Club on a day-to-day basis.
b. Taking an active role with Club membership as the leader of Club operations.
c. Hiring, training, and ongoing support of the department head staff consisting of the course Superintendent, Food & Beverage Manager, Pro Shop Manager, Office Administrator/Bookkeeper, and other key staff members. Lead weekly department management meetings.
d. Oversee the hiring and training of all frontline staff members to ensure a superior level of Guest and Member service throughout the facility.
e. With assistance and support from the department head team, create and implement systems to ensure consistent execution of a first-class experience on a day-to-day basis.
f. Provide appropriate leadership, direction, supervision, and guidance to staff in accord industry recognized golf expectations and company culture to promote positive employee morale and performance quality.
B. Financial Management
a. Direct, coordinate and monitor the development of the facility’s annual business plan and operating/capital budgets. Monitor and evaluate financial performance relative to budget goals and objectives. Analyze budget variances, develop, and implement action plans to achieve appropriate adjustments.
b. Oversight of ‘back of the house’ operational responsibilities including accounting and accounts payable functions, staff scheduling and payroll management, and other administrative duties as required.
- The candidate will have at least 3 years of experience in a management role of similar or greater capacity within a commensurate club(s).
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to interact well with members, daily fee golfers and their guests. Ability to build and maintain member relationships. Strong work ethic.
- Qualified candidates have a 2- or 4-year degree with hospitality, business, or management focus and/or requisite certification from the CMAA or PGA of Canada. · Demonstrated experience in the areas of budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, staff management.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends.
- Must be an innovative thinker with the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing service and business environment.
- Possesses strong leadership skills including recruiting, developing, and retaining quality department heads and staff. Ability to identify core competencies in co-workers.
- Skills required include a proficient level of Microsoft Office Word and Excel, point of sale systems, experience with point-of-sale software and cloud-based applications and data storage sites. Experience with QuickBooks accounting software.
- Highly developed interpersonal communications skills. Demonstrated quality written and verbal skills. Positive attitude, professional manner, and appearance in all situations.
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- PGA Professional
- Commensurate with experience and consistent with other golf Clubs of similar stature in Alberta,$55,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Golf privileges.
- PGA of Canada Specialization
- Golf Operations
- Course Website
- Social Media Page(s)
- Employment Duration
- To be discussed
- Contact Information
Resume are to be email to Sonia Joyal, President of the Board of Directors, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization as well as providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with relevant legislation. Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.