General Manager/Director of Golf
Lookout Point Country Club is a private 18-hole Golf Club located in the town of Fonthill, in the heart of the Niagara Region, ON. The club is rich in tradition and the Walter Travis designed layout has been delivering a premier golf club experience for our membership since 1922. More information about the Club and its history can be found on our website at www.lookoutpointcc.com.
- Lookout Point Country Club - Fonthill, Ontario
- Job Summary
Lookout Point Country Club is seeking to fill the role of General Manager (GM) & Director of Golf. The preferred candidate will be an experienced PGA of Canada professional with the ability to provide leadership in operationalizing the current Strategic and Capital plans. Lookout Point Country Club has experienced significant progress over the past several years in all aspects of Club operations. In 2020, the Club refreshed its Strategic Plan to reflect the changes both internal and external to the Club. In support of the Strategic plan, the 2021 Capital Plan calls for investments in the club of approximately $5 million dollars over the next six years. Most of the capital funds will be invested in improvements to our golf course which is annually recognized as a top 100 course in Canada. The GM & Director of Golf will report to the Board of Directors through the President. This role will be responsible for the overall leadership, management, and administration of all aspects of the club’s business and facilities. This includes its activities and the relationships between members, employees, government, and the community. As the overall leader, the GM & Director of Golf ensure appropriate resources are in place and used effectively in planning, directing, controlling, and monitoring all operations, programs, and services at Lookout Point Country Club.
1. Manage the Club’s business as established by the Board of Directors by:
- Establishing GM and Director of Golf goals and objectives that are aligned with the Strategic Success Criteria established by the Board.
- Establishing procedures to ensure all staff goals and objectives are also aligned with the Strategic Success Criteria defined by the Board.
- Establishing, staffing, and monitoring all Operational Advisory Committees in accordance with committee guidelines.
2. Establish an environment where Lookout Point Country Club will be viewed by members, guests, and employees as a private club that fosters a friendly, welcoming, and inclusive culture by:
- Monitoring, reinforcing, and encouraging that all members, guests, and staff fully support and behave in a manner consistent with our Values and the Code of Conduct.
- Managing all staff in accordance with Club policies and provincial legislation.
- Leading, managing, and monitoring ensuring that all staff have their duties and responsibilities properly defined, and have the appropriate resources, skills, and training to fulfill their duties and responsibilities effectively and efficiently.
- Conducting regular management meetings and carry out annual performance reviews.
3. Maintain and improve the golf course to be the preferred private course in Niagara by:
- Working collaboratively with the Superintendent and with external consultants to implement and improve on the 3-to-5-year course improvement plans.
- Monitoring and implementing practices that will improve the conditioning, aesthetics, and playability of the golf course and driving range for most Lookout Point CC members.
4. Demonstrate fiscal responsibility in balancing the cost of operating and managing the Club and offering good value of membership products and services by:
- Providing financial management and oversight of all areas of the Club.
- Reviewing with the Board annual operating budgets and five-year forecasts and capital plans.
- Communicating a detailed monthly report to the Board including detailed financial reports from committee meetings, membership updates and any other significant changes or issues whenever they occur.
- Authorizing expenditures within prescribed limits and budgets established by the Board.
- Selectively using both the golf course and other facilities for non-member events to offset some member expense.
5. Develop, implement, and communicate Sales and Marketing initiatives, supporting continuous growth and retention to attain an optimum level of active golf membership by:
- Defining and monitoring the optimum level of our membership categories in a manner that meets the club’s revenue goals while ensuring appropriate member access to the tee.
- Utilizing various methods of advertising and communicating the benefits of membership at Lookout to potential members.
6. Provide leadership and managerial oversight of the four Operational Departments of Turf, Golf Shop, Food and Beverage, and Administration by:
- Ensuring that each Operational Department fosters a culture of customer service, fiscal responsibility, and continuous improvement.
- Ensuring that departments use various tools and surveys to monitor member needs and satisfaction levels.
- Ensuring departments are developing and administering the scheduling of all golf and non-golf events held at the Club.
- Ensuring that each department implements appropriate methods to regularly communicate club news, activities, social events, games, or other areas of interest or benefit to Club membership.
- Ensuring that the Lookout Point Country Club buildings and property are properly monitored and maintained to all health and safety standards and meet the club's short- and long-term needs.
- Establishing processes and methodologies to stay informed with industry and competitor trends and practices which should be implemented at our Club.
- Providing the Board with ongoing status and performance updates of Operational Departments.
- PGA of Canada Class "A" professional and member in good standing
- CSCM certification is considered an asset.
- College or university degree in business or golf management and or similar related golf experience
- 5+ years management experience in golf industry
- Expertise in Golf Shop operations required.
- Knowledge of Turf, and Food and Beverage Operations required
- Must have demonstrated excellent leadership, organizational abilities, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- To be negotiated
- PGA of Canada Specialization
- Golf Operations
- PGA of Canada Specialization
- Management & Leadership
- Course Website
- Social Media Page(s)
- Employment Duration
- Contact Information
Any general inquiries should be directed to our General Manager Dan Greenwood at 905-892-2639 ext. 241.
Interested candidates should forward a resume along with a cover letter outlining their qualifications to: Executive/Search Committee at Lookout Point Country Club with the subject line General Manager/Director of Golf Position to: email@example.com
We thank all candidates for their interest in this position; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization as well as providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.