We understand that this is a difficult and uncertain time for golf professionals and club operators across the country.
The PGA of Canada and its nine Zones are committed to providing updated resources and tips to help mitigate risk for members that are currently working at facilities that remain open for business.
As the situation continues to evolve rapidly, we strongly encourage you to check back regularly for the most up-to-date information.
As always, please adhere to the latest guidelines published by your local, provincial and federal authorities with respect to COVID-19. We must all do our part to help contain the virus.
The Public Health Agency of Canada has published a useful guide for employers: Preventing COVID-19 in the workplace: Employers, employees and essential service workers.
For members working in facilities that remain open for business, we recommend the following best practices to limit risk:
- Encourage and enforce safe social distancing measures (6+ feet) for staff and customers at all time.
- Educating staff on the symptoms, risks and ways to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Educating staff on the actions being taken by the employer to ensure their safety at work
- Having appropriate signage on-display throughout your facility and on-course
- Installing additional hand-washing or sanitizing stations in high-traffic areas
- Checking in daily with staff to see how they are feeling. Encourage anyone feeling ill (staff or member) to refrain from coming to the facility
- Forming a COVID-19 committee or task-force
- Conducting meetings by phone or online wherever possible. For in-person meetings, ensure safe social distancing (6+ feet) between attendees
- Offering to launder employee uniforms to ensure cleanliness and hygiene
- Providing service workers with disposable or rubber gloves
- Sending detailed communication to members and the public on the actions you are taking, reminding them that you will strictly adhere to guidelines established by local, provincial and federal governments
- Frequently sanitizing and cleaning high-traffic areas and surfaces, including, but not limited to, public restrooms, counters, tables, golf carts, flagpoles, debit machines, phones and more
- Creating a process that allows players to bypass checking in at the Pro Shop before heading to the first tee
- If entrance into the Pro Shop is required, limit access to ensure social distancing measures can be met
- Increasing tee-time intervals to further promote safe distancing between groups
- Encouraging players to walk or ride alone in a cart
- Temporarily removing bunker rakes
- Increasing the space between golf carts when staging them for use
- Closing off every other driving range stall to increase social distancing
- Raising the cup insert or creating a gimme circle around each hole location to reduce surface contamination
- Removing communal coolers, temporarily closing on-course water stations and providing bottled water as an alternative.
- Removing flags from the practice putting green
- Having back shop staff wear protective gloves at all times
- Temporarily stopping club cleaning services and encouraging members to bring home their clubs
- Removal of ball washing machines
- Disabling ATM's
- Providing sanitizing wipes within golf carts for player use
- Avoiding person-to-person contact during lessons, ensuring social distancing (6+ feet) remains a priority
- Providing online services / lessons
Helpful Links & Resources
- Park and Play Program
- We Are Golf Statement on COVID-19 - March 25
- Preventing COVID-19 in the workplace: Employers, employees and essential service workers
- Crisis Preparedness and Business Continuity Guide
- Coronavirus Disease: Resources for Canadian Businesses
- COVID-19: Awareness Resources & Posters
- Navigating Coronavirus: COVID-19 resources for foodservice operators
- Information on Employment Insurance Benefits
- How to Work From Home: 20 Tips From People Who Do it Successfully
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan: Support for Canadians and Businesses
Health Information by Ontario: